Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:36 am 

Do you think Romanza (Spanish Romance) is worth learning? It can be memorized very quickly, but some of the shifts and stretches will take considerable work to get smooth. Given the vehement reactions to it on Delcamp (it seems to be the second most hated piece, second only to Asturias), I wonder. On the other hand, I don't hate it, and I really like Asturias (so my taste is in question I guess).
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:02 pm 

Tom,
I'm with you. I like both Asturias and Romanza. If either or both are within your reach, I think they would be worth learning. I think you would find that lots of people you might play for, not classical guitar connoisseurs, would enjoy hearing Romanza.
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:08 pm 

Hi Tom,

I agree with Robert, if you like it, play it. After you learn the basic piece there's lots of room for interpretation or expansion on the theme. I have a fun arrangement by Juan Serrano that incorporates a rumba variation. I've also seen and heard players add tremelo to good effect.

Despite the disdain that Romanza, Asturias and RDLA get on the Del Camp boards most casual listeners like hearing these works. Played well they can be both beautiful and entertaining. I think some of those comments are from wanna-be's who think they can prove how sophisticated they are by dismissing these works as some how inferior to some other unspecified music.

BTW- I got the Cassius anthology and have learned the Romance 1987. It's a sweet piece, thanks for your help in finding the score. The rest of that book is hard to play though. The merengue rhythm is hard to read, count, clap or play!!! And he has a wierd little hemiola type alternating accent that's hard to figure out. Have you ever heard any of the other pieces by him, other than the recorcing by Scott?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 pm 

I've learned two variations on Romanza, and the only thing I hate about it are the barre chords. Otherwise, I think it's an absolutely beautiful piece and I love playing it. I'd especially love to learn how to add the tremelo that I've heard in some variations of the piece.

As for Asturius, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard it, and I've yet to tire of it. I plan on learning how to play it myself, someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:32 pm 

gman wrote:
Hi Tom,

BTW- I got the Cassius anthology and have learned the Romance 1987. It's a sweet piece, thanks for your help in finding the score. The rest of that book is hard to play though. The merengue rhythm is hard to read, count, clap or play!!! And he has a wierd little hemiola type alternating accent that's hard to figure out. Have you ever heard any of the other pieces by him, other than the recorcing by Scott?

Mike

Mike,
I actually have a cd by Mark Ribot of the whole works of Casseus for solo guitar. You should be able to find it with a google search. I think I ordered it from Germany. At CGI, Alan played a medley of Romance 1978 and Dance of the Hunsies.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:39 pm 

The thing about Romanza is it is mostly so simple but the hard parts are SOOOO hard that they will kick your ass. I like the piece because I can play it in mixed company of folks and it is recognized and appreciated. Women tend to cry when I play it. Not sure what that is about but it happens frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 pm 

Thanks Tom, I'll start looking. I reread through the book and there are few playtable pieces- as in the ones that don't have that strange rythym

Mike

Yeah Karla, I think that's part of the reason some people dismiss Romanza, here's an "easy" piece with two or three spots that are simply hard to play well. I think the same can be said for RDLA and Asturias except they both have technical challenges within a harder base piece- the tremolo and the triplet figures among others. and they've all been recorded by great players, making us recreational player look a little weak in comparison unless we really hone our execution, dynamics and interpretrations.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 am 

I think a good alternative is the Study No 1 by Tarrega. It's more consistent in it's requirements for the player.