Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:02 pm 

I want to explore the different uses for recording devices in and for your lessons.
    1. Record Lessons - This seems to be a no-brainer but I'm surprised how many people will spend good money on lessons and NOT record them. I use to find that I would miss about 40% of what my teacher had to say by not recording my lessons. I use to play them back in my car on my way home or even as I fell asleep at night.

When working with my students you'll notice after I make a suggestion I require you to show me how you'd practice. This is a very important stage which often gets forgotten by the time you've arrived home!

2. Record Your Repertoire - I'm going to begin requiring this more as it's a wonderful tool for working in lessons. The student records some pieces during the week and brings them into the lesson. When I make corrections the student can hear what I'm referring to immediately and changes are much quicker than when the student tries to play, listen, AND correct!.

3. Record Between Lessons- This will let you know how much progress you're making on the specific assignments. You should have your original recording as well as the corrections I suggested to compare your NEW recording to. Bring that one in and we'll keep working our way through!

There are many devices on the market now that will allow you to do this cheaply and easily. Perhaps those of you with the experience can make suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:19 am 

I have been using the Zoom H2 recording since I did the research on these and discovered that there is nothing in its class that comes even close. Besides giving me CD quality recording, it takes a mini SD card which I can easily transfer to my computer or a listening device.

The only downside this has is price (200 bucks) and short battery life. Fortunately it has a chord.

If you want something cheaper I think that the Olympus recorders with built in speakers cannot be beat. They recored lessons quite nicely and you can easily listen back to those lessons ala the built in speaker. No need to transfer the files anywhere. I think I paid 40 dollars for mine a few years back. I still use if for those quick and dirty recordings during the practice session.

I am always amazed at how much of my lesson I miss after listening back the second and third time. I am also always amazed at how my practice ears are different than my listening ears. I am always happy to hear my recorded music because the mistakes do not seem as large as when I am playing real time. It gives me a much different perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:23 pm 

This should seem very obvious, and seems to make good sense, so I don't know why I haven't done it yet.
I happen to have a really cheap Panasonic something-or-other I could start using, if sound quality isn't really an issue (is it?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:16 pm 

it isn't an issue at all for recording lessons or listening to yourself. Only becomes an issue when you want to share what you have done with others. Then it is annoying to have bad quality recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:58 pm 

Alright then. Excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 pm 

I use an Edirol recorder that is really easy to use, plus the sound quality is phenomenal. It's on the pricey side as well. Lucky for me my husband is a gear-hound. :)

I can't remember the brand, but until we bought the Edirol I used a $50 MP3 player to record. It definitely did a respectable job. I think I picked it up at Walmart or some place like that.

Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:15 pm 

I have a really cheap ($40) Sony digital voice recorder. The sound quality is terrible. But it is entirely sufficient for recording lessons and identifying connection problems in my playing. No way to judge tone with it though. I will get a Zoom H2 at some point soon for recording myself to share. but until then cheap is fine for lessons.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm 

I have a Zoom H2 as well, neat little device.

I would also suggest recording your performances/gigs as well, for later comparison with your practice recordings.