Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood shedding & Movin on
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 am 

Hi All,

Well I was in Portland for a short business trip and booked a consult/lesson with Scott to review Phase 2 and do a little repertoire work.

Of course having not seen me live since last spring, Scott wanted to first gauge my command of the basic techniques. Starting at sitting, hand positons and right on through sympathetic motion, arpeggios and scales. Well it wasn't too pretty, first my sitting position had evolved into the guitar being too upright which had caused me to incorrectly deviate my right hand. I had been either out of town, suffering from allergies or working for the last week and had only one practice session in the prior five days. (Excuses!)

Then came the arpegggios, for some reason I could not consistently demostrate or execute the analysis properly at slow speed, at higher speeds I am apparently devolving into alternation rather than sympathetic motion. Poor concentration and not really focusing during my practice has to be the cause.

Scales however were a happy thing, my RH seemed to stay in the proper position and was able to execute all the scales and patterns well sychronized with the metronome and at pretty good speeds.

In reviewing the two Romances ( de las Pinos & 1987) it was clear that I have little sense of phrasing or executing with any legato. Worse yet as Scott would play a phrase I had difficulting discerning the difference from his execution and my own, meaning that I couldn't really hear the "choppiness" in my playing that was readily apparent to Scott. This is humbling but may explain why even when I'm playing note for along with a recording I can hear a difference between the musicality in the recording and my own efforts. Th other troubling thiong here is these ae not reallt difficult pieces, if I can't do these well then the rest of my repertoire is probably inappropriate.............

Other than the scales the one noticable improvement was in my tone. despite having very short hook prone nails, the hours of prepared stroke have really helped improve my tone, especially when the right hand is in proper position.

All in all I came to conclusion that I need nearly closer supervision to insure I don't backslide or veer off course. Scott suggested that we work through Phase 3 in bi monthly internet lessons. We'll be starting in March which should give me time to go back and revisit the arpeggios.

Time to Practice,,

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:53 pm 

Mike wrote:
Worse yet as Scott would play a phrase I had difficulting discerning the difference from his execution and my own, meaning that I couldn't really hear the "choppiness" in my playing that was readily apparent to Scott. This is humbling but may explain why even when I'm playing note for along with a recording I can hear a difference between the musicality in the recording and my own efforts.

Mike:

Did you record this session with Scott? It's hard to hear the fine differences when we are focused on playing. There are too many things going on at once. On the recording, though, these things stand out.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:09 pm 

Brent,
Unfortunatley I haven't yet invested in a portable recording device.....
I guess I reallly should.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:45 pm 

Hey Mike I heard your were coming to Portland and wished we could have hooked up. Next time give us all a holla and we'll do dinner somewhere. I am so glad to hear you got time for a consult though. Sounds like it was very worthwhile.