Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 am 

I've been grabbing a few minutes every day to practice (on my non-practice days) and working to play slowly with strong articulation and strong sound.

One of the most remarkable aspects of JW's playing is not only his velocity but the projection of tone at those high speeds. Most players -- when playing faster -- get quieter and the tone gets thinner. JW's tone and volume don't suffer at those high speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 am 

I am still in a complete daze and processing all the information that I took in during that time. I agree with Brent RE the sound system but outside of that... Man oh man.

NEVER before have I heard the classical guitar like this. Each and every single note POPPED out at me and pieces I heard a million times were like brand new. And with this concert I realize why I flock to Scott's studio to learn. The same thing happens frequently when I listen to Scott play. It happened one time when I had the fortune to sit at Lorimare's knee while he played that Giuliani work and it happened for one contiguous concert last Friday night.

My heart was beating so loudly in my chest the entire time that it was almost distracting. There is NOTHING quite like tapping into a man's passion and John shared it all. I actually especially enjoyed that he shared his simple yet beautiful personal works. It really gave me some insight into him.

I have relived that night over and over the past few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm 

Updated - here's the correct link to the photo with John Williams (afternoon chat)
http://gallery.me.com/scottkritzer

Also, Oregonian review....

http://www.oregonlive.com/performance/i ... t_joh.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 pm 

Yes, what Karla said regarding tone....we were talking about rest stroke and free stroke (which was great because we got into the whole "can you play rest and free from the same position" thing, and he played (free stroke) the melody to Cavatina - beautiful bell-like tone.

But, important to realize, tone production, as in JW's case, is also driven by an incredibly accurate left hand.