Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scraping
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:30 am 

When doing my phase 2 work and my Segovia Scales, I find that I make a terrible scraping noise on the bass strings, as the nail goes across the string. I have been experimenting with using the best technique I can -- pushing down with the big knuckle, using the middle knuckle, etc. All sounds gorgeous on the trebles, but icky on the basses. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Donna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:04 pm 

Wow, I've never had *that* problem, have I Karla? (She busted me for that last week.)

Seems my bass strings were coarser than Karla's, but I also suspect the solution will lie in a bit of a deviation of the right hand.

Scott? Perf?

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:29 pm 

I used to have a scraping sound on the basses from my M finger. I later discovered that the cause was a long ramp on the nail shape. This causes a slow string release from your finger.

Scott's way of filing nails releases the string quickly, thus avoiding the string scrape.

Aside from the nail shape, the middle knuckle stroke also needs to be fairly quick to further facilitate the fast string release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:32 pm 

Thanks Perf -- I'll work on those things.

Donna

Post subject: Flat wound bass strings
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:20 pm 

I believe you can buy bass strings that are "flat wound", that is, the strings are wound with square cross section material rather then round cross section. These strings are much smoother and should reduce the scraping sound.
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 pm 

I have also found that string brand can affect this. I never noticed a scraping on the bass strings. Then I tried a set of Savarez Corum-Alliance. I loved the sound of the trebles, but I had a horrible scraping sound on the bass strings. When I finally changed them back to my normal D'Addario EJ45s (I'm cheap - I only changed the basses) the problem completely went away.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:00 pm 

Brent wrote:
Wow, I've never had *that* problem, have I Karla? (She busted me for that last week.)

Seems my bass strings were coarser than Karla's, but I also suspect the solution will lie in a bit of a deviation of the right hand.

Scott? Perf?

Brent

:rotflmao: Brent called me a dirty name because I was laughing so hard at his tone during one of our technical scale workouts. It was like this scratchy noise was SO bad that you couldn't even hear the notes under it. (Brent is calling me a bad name again I think) I was sitting very close so it was very in my face and I have never heard anything like that before. I could not control my glee at it for some reason. The noise is almost indescribable. I am sure that if he were on stage that it wouldn't be so bad.... :roll: :rotflmao:

By the way... I made much the same noise on his strings. It was most definately at least in part the strings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:10 pm 

That noise was artistic and intentional.

#$%^&*!!!

It's part of the training I learned from Scott in the Performance Workshops. I was visualizing what I would do to you when you told me how bad you thought it sounded, and that's what came out.

@#$%^&*!!!

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:57 pm 

I don't know what Scott teaches, so feel free to bust me if this is inappropriate :oops: . When playing a free stroke scale on the bass strings I alter my right hand position slightly to avoid the racket.