Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Right side of nails
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:37 pm 

Take a look at Alvaro Pierri on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnNhNesE3k . He appears to be playing on the right side of his nails (look starting a 28 seconds where there is a closeup of his rh). It is perhaps even clearer in the 3rd movement. There are several videos with good closeups of his rh (including El Ultimo Tremolo by Barrios). What do you all think of his RH?

Personnally, I don't like the tone I am getting from the right side of my nails yet. So I am treating it like just another secondary skill that I will learn to use; doing a few scales or arpeggios a day in the new position, rather than making a total commitment to change. That way if I do solve the problem, learn to file my nails right for that position, or whatever, I will have that position "in my hands".
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 pm 

Hi Tom
After watching it closely, and watching the video of him doing the 3rd movement, i still think he is center to left. Its hard really to see. The reason I think that is his rt hand is not that far to the right. Definatly not left though...

I know what you mean about experimenting. My nails are "ramped" just a bit from left to rt. So a rt side attack would take a re-shaping of the nails.

I take it that this shift feels pretty significant to you? Drastic may be a better word?

A change always has its getting use to. ALso, the rt shift makes the thumb stroke feel a little new too, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:57 pm 

Tom
THis is my favorite you tube artist, Li Jie.

Watch this and tell me if you think she is using the center to rt side of her nails. I think she is and of all the videos she has on you tube (ive seen them all), I have yet to see her use a rest stroke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:56 am 

Jim,
Yes it feels like a drastic switch to me. (But when I watch in the mirror, it does not look like that much of a change.) I am still struggling with finding the stings with my thumb and with the "cramped" (curved) position of my "a" finger leading to what feels like a restricted stroke. However, I remember what it felt like when I first tried to play with ponticello and tasto in a piece, and this feels no more awkward than that did at first. So I'll keep at it. I love the fact that Scott, already at such a high level of achievement, is willing to experiment with something new. So I certainly am not going to close off to change at my elementary level.

I agree Li Jie is an amazing player, and I have watched a lot of her playing on youTube. I did not see a link in your post; did you intend to post a pointer to a favorite clip of hers?
Tom

Last edited by tom on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:51 am 

Hi Tom
Yes the link i forgot to copy is this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWUxh3W09ME

Seems to give some good views of her rt hand and a nice piece.

I've noticed too, how in a mirror, the change is not as major as it "feels". So far for me, it feels as if the m and a fingers are working more efficient. I find the motion from the middle knuckle is easier. My hand lays a little flatter than usuall. That may change over time.

On with the experiement!