Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:56 am 

http://www.egta.co.uk/content/underuse

Here is a very interesting article which strongly supports Scott's ideas on RH extensor muscle training through rasgueados. He contrasts the commonly understood "overuse" injury like tendonitis with "underuse" problems. I fall into that category of people who do not naturally have very fast "recycling" of fingers, thus limiting scale and arpeggio speed. I have great hopes for this avenue of training.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:23 am 

Hi Tom

I've heard that one of the reasons that flamenco artists are so fast is that they have developed their extensors from all of the rasquedos that they play. I've struggled with tendonitis and carpal tunnel issues for years - I even had to quit guitar for a while. I've been using a GHS handmaster for a few months and it has improved my symptoms greatly. It gives a balanced workout of both the flexors and extensions in a couple of minutes. Hopefully it will lead to faster scale work and healthier hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:57 pm 

I did an experiment a few years ago (after reading that article) where I added rasgueado to my technique practice for about 6 months. I was testing to see if it allowed me to increase my scale speed by strengthening my extensors. I did not improve my scales during that period. In fact I'm still playing my scale exercises at the same speed all these years later. An experiment with an n of 1 doesn't really prove anything though. I'm now trying to push the scale speed again by simply increasing the metronome every couple weeks. Don't know if that will work either. But now I am concentrating on looseness rather than extensor strength. The fact that I can wiggle my fingers much faster than I can play scales tells me that I am not strength limited at this point.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:35 pm 

Interesting to hear that it didn't increase your speed after all, Scott is always trying to slow me down so I haven't really worked on increasing my speed recently. I was doing speed bursts a while back- double time a few notes and go back to the regular speed and then slowly increase the length of the speed burst, that's mostly for increasing right hand speed, which is it sounds like you don't need. One suggestion I've heard for increasing speed is to work on left and right had synchronization - using the chromatic scale is supposed be good for that. I think you're on the right track with the metronome - you'll know if something is working or not. One more suggestion I saw was was to go faster than you can play accurately and then slow down to the speed you want to play something at and it won't seem so fast - sounds like one of those brain tricks - probably worth a try.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:18 am 

Yeah, I think a good approach is to push the speed for a few weeks, and then go back to slow for 2 weeks and make sure the motion is perfect, then push the speed again, etc. I think my fingers are fast enough but my brain is slow.
Tom