Scott's Studio

For serious students of the classical guitar please visit www.scottkritzer.com
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:22 am 

I created this video the other day and shared it with some people. They pointed out some weirdness in my technique that I am not quite sure how to respond.

1. Note the index finger really flying out there. Is that just a result of practicing large movements? It feels really comfy so I don't think it is dead wrong, but what do I know?

2. Why does my hand always seem to bounce when I play this one? Is that a bad thing?

3. Everytime I post a video or a picture I seem to get the same response. People seem to think that my left shoulder is too high (tense) and my arm is too far from my body. Again this feels comfy so I don't think it is wrong but what do I know?

I would appreciate it if you made some sort of comment to this.

http://www.kfisherx.com/Guitar/MyVideo/ ... yDec05.wmv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:57 am 
I'm looking forward to hearing Scott's take on this. I can see the flying index finger and a month ago I would have said that it was flying out there with unnecessary extra tension. However, since that part of the arpeggio is 'a m i' sympathetic motion, I now understand from phase 1 that 'i' should be thrown out there the farthest. So this may be the result of good sympathetic motion practice. Is this too exagerated? Maybe. I'll be interested to hear.

Shoulders look adequately balanced to me and I don't think the left elbow is higher than on Scott's positioning videos. I know it is higher than some like to see, but I think you are positioned how you are taught here.
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 am 

Scott dealt with the flying index at my lesson on Saturday. I will let him go into the details but the problem just came from my movement coming solely from the large knuckle. This is correct movement for how we are taught to start out (large, relaxed, sweeping) but we have to refine that movement and get the stroke coming more from the middle knuckle.

I still don't know if my shoulder is bad in this video (we didn't talk about that at the lesson). I think it is fine, but what do I know? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 am 

I dunno. I've seen older pictures of you, Karla, where it looked like your left shoulder might be just a bit too high, but this video doesn't look like that to me. But then, I don't know any more about this than you do. ;)

Besides the index finger, I notice you do the same thing I do with your RH. It moves up and down (across the strings) a lot more than it seems like it should. But I don't know this piece and I don't know the movements needed for it, so I'll just shut up now. :oops:

http://www.cedarcityguitarlessons.com/
http://www.innergeek.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 pm 
Here's the video that deals with that lifting large knuckle. We want to make strong follow-through movements when alternating but students sometimes overcompensate by lifting too much from the large knuckle.

When we play a note we want to engage the large knuckle, pushing down, into the string. Then we play the string, primarily from the middle knuckle, (this is covered expressly in Phase II). When we extend the finger we need to first lift slightly from the large knuckle and then extend from the middle knuckle. Often the student continues to lift from the large knuckle throughout the entire extension. The result is that the nail is too far from the string.

The following video should help illustrate this point:
www.scottkritzer.com/Teaching/Video/Tec ... middle.wmv

Thanks to Karla for allowing us to use her hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm 

Wow!! That sure is a nice looking hand in that video. :lol: